Thursday, October 7, 2010

More Hanoi memories and the weekend ahead...

Only a few days to go before Hanoi's 1,000 year birthday bash.

Continuing with my theme of "Hanoi Memories", in December last year we hired the very talented Hanoi-based photojournalist Julian Wainwright to take some souvenir shots of the girls at our favourite places.

Here's a few of my favourite pictures from the shoot:

On the Sunbeam Bridge on Hoan Kiem Lake in Hanoi

Jade Mountain Temple on Hoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake




































Temple of Literature




































Temple of Literature
Dong Xuan Market
Our local flower market
Now to the weekend...

Before we head back to Australia on Sunday night Rob and I will spend the weekend in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

Not only will we celebrate both my and Hanoi's birthday on Sunday (my downhill slide to 40!) this weekend will be our first holiday without our children.

The reason behind our sans-kids weekend is a chance for me to tick another item off my growing "travel bucket list" (i.e. my top places to visit before I die!) with a weekend stopover in Siem Reap to visit the ruins of Angkor Wat.

Just as exciting is the fact that we have booked two nights at The One Hotel Angkor - a boutique hotel in Siem Reap where, as the name suggests, we will be the one and only guests!

I saw a feature on The One on the Discovery travel channel earlier this year and have been planning a trip there ever since!

Think royalty, think exclusivety, think feeling like the only people on earth as you are handed a mobile phone so The One's staff can cater to your every whim...welcome to the hottest boutique hotel in Cambodia! (PS - no kids allowed!)

To say that I am excited to be seeing the ruins on my 36th birthday is a slight understatement, but the fact that my birthday will also be celebrated with a stay at one of the most talked about hotels in the region...as Mastercard would say...priceless!

I have promised Rob that I will shut down the laptop until we are back in Ho Chi Minh, so I will try to post some photos of our weekend on Sunday night on route to Brisbane.

A fabulous birthday weekend ahead! And to my (very) slightly older twin sister Belinda - happy birthday for Sunday! May your next 12 months be all that you could wish for and your wrinkles not as pronounced as mine! xx

1 comment: