Saturday, September 25, 2010

{Saigon Scene} AFL Grand Final party

The venue
Hundreds of expats packed the grand ballroom at the Sheraton today for a taste of home - the AFL grand final party. This is without a doubt one of biggest events on the Saigon expat social calendar, a huge day of eating and drinking all in the name of charity (this year for the Loreto Vietnam Australia Program).

For many of the expats in the room who don't normally barrack for Collingwood or St Kilda, and for those of us who don't even follow the AFL, it didn't matter as we all picked a side and spent the best part of 2.5 hours screaming at the big screens!

With food and alcohol being served from 9.30am (I restrained myself until 11.20am!) as you can imagine it got quite messy!

Jane, Cindy and Kieran - for the girls it's a chance to dress up, leave the kids with the nanny and have a fun day/night out!
Me with Dani - colleague and fellow blogger. Check out some great photos of the party on Dani's blog
Despite more than four hours of solid drinking, those of us still standing (just!) moved to Phatty's bar on Ton That Diep street.

Not enough taxis for all the expats? No problem. Take a Xe Om! (a motorbike taxi).

Look at me Mum, no helmet and no hands! Clearly I was drunk. The first time I had been on a Xe Om and I was giggling like a maniac and snapping photos as we sped through District 1. Good fun!

Andrew and Jaon enjoying the ride
Me with my Xe Om driver - clearly I was impressed with myself!
Shame about the result - I'm told there hasn't been a grand final draw since the 70's - but that just gives all us Saigon expats an excuse to have another crack next weekend! (like we need one!).

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you did Phattys! I went to bed at 7.20!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stayed for one drink because I had to be home by 6pm so our Nanny could go to her next job (thank goodness or I would have been a right ol' mess today!)

    ReplyDelete